The beginning of a new year is filled with endless possibilities. What are your resolutions for 2016? Get back in shape? Really excel at work? Volunteer more? Spend more time with your family?
How about moving? That will be on many lists. Maybe you need more space to spread out or are downsizing as your kids have finally left the nest. Perhaps you are ready for a new neighborhood or a different floor plan. Whatever your reason is, here are 4 resolutions you should make if you plan to sell your home in 2016.
Home Selling Resolution #1: Appeal to potential buyer’s senses
Once you put your home on the market, potential buyers will begin to tour it. This is a good first step, but you need to do your part to make sure they like what they see. Remember, the fact that you have a showing means that potential buyers have already selected your home as a potential home worth taking time out of their day to see. Working with buyers over the years, I have seen many examples of buyers crossing nice, viable homes of their lists because, well, they just “don’t get a good feel” about the house. In addition to bigger items like repairs, cleaning, painting and de-cluttering, think about how you can appeal to buyer’s senses to showcase your home:
- Sight – This begins the minute buyers pull in your driveway and judge your home’s curb appeal. Make sure your flower beds are nicely mulched, watered, with no weeds! Don’t forget to add a pop of color. During winter, make sure your driveway and path to the door is shoveled and clear of any snow or ice. You don’t want to turn off potential buyers by making them truck through a foot of snow to get to your front door.
- Smell—This one is so important! Make sure your home smells great and does not have any unpleasant odors. In wintertime, candles can do double duty of providing a great holiday scent and making rooms feel warm and cozy.
- Touch – No sticky countertops or floors please! Make sure all surfaces are wiped down, clean, dry and ready to impress! Buyers expect a clean home when touring, so they won’t specifically notice if counters are clean but they will DEFINITELY notice if they aren’t.
- Sound – How about a lighting a crackling fire in your fireplace in the winter? Or relaxing music playing quietly in the summer? Invite buyers to lose themselves in what it would really be like to live there.
- Taste – I am going to substitute “Feel” because it is so important that buyers feel great when they tour your home! This means warm and toasty in the winter and cool and comfortable in the summer. Even if you have already moved and your home is vacant, ask your real estate agent to swing by an hour or two before the showing and crank up the A/C or the heat. It makes a difference.
Home Selling Resolution #2: Take all your family members with you….including your fur babies
We all love our pets but with the craziness of preparing for showings, I have seen sellers forget to take their pets with them when they leave their house on showing days. This is unfortunate because buyers are turned off when they are trying to tour a home with poor Fido tied in the backyard or worse growling at them in a cage in the spare bedroom. It makes showings uncomfortable as buyers are either worried about the pup’s welfare or distracted by his barking. An important tip- just take them with you!
Home Selling Resolution #3: Don’t be afraid to do something a little extra
Have amazing landscaping in the summer but you are trying to sell in the dead of winter? Display photos of your gorgeous flowers in their full glory and leave them displayed tactfully for buyers to see. Have really low heating and cooling bills due to the new replacement windows you just installed last year? Leave a monthly budget so potential buyers can get an idea of the low cost of living. Think of what extras your home has and feature them. Hiring a great real estate agent really helps with this as well.
Home Selling Resolution #4: Hire A Great Real Estate Agent Just like in any other profession, not all real estate agents are created equal. When you are interviewing agents to list your home- make sure to ask them questions like: How experienced are you? How will you market my home? Will I be able to easily get ahold of you? Will you take high quality pictures of my home? What is your pricing strategy? What should I do to my home to make it sell faster? What are homes selling for in the area? These questions and more are very important as you choose which professional will help you sell your largest asset. If you are considering selling your home in 2016, contact me, Stephanie Webb with Sluss Realty, for answers to these questions and more. I would be happy to assist you!
This blog post is written by Stephanie Webb, a licensed agent with Sluss Realty and a member of the Mansfield Board of Realtors, Ohio Association of Realtors and National Association of Realtors. If you are interested in selling your home please contact me at 419.709.0489, email@example.com or on Facebook at http://www.Facebook.com/MansfieldOhioRealEstate